Co-Working: Keeping Home Workers (Relatively) Sane

co-working keeping home workers relative saneWhile isolation does have it’s perks, it has a huge downside: You lose contact with real people. There’s only so much interaction you can have over skype, IM, email, and other forms of internet communication. Without this crucial human interaction, we start to do interesting things… like inventing and talking to imaginary friends.

How can one work collaboratively with other people, but not be employed by a corporation? The answer: Co-Working.

The Inquirer points us to an interesting post on the new phenomenon of co-working.

Think of co-working as an entrepreneurial version of parallel play, with owners of their own small businesses working side by side in a drop-in place that looks like a coffee cafe, minus the barista, with all the accoutrements of what’s hip: high ceilings, beer fridge, pool table and Internet access.

Co-working is basically taking the best part of working in a collaborative space (human interaction), without a boss and annoying co-workers that you have to work with. And it’s in a pretty ritzy environment, without costing too much for each worker. Very interesting.

• Priscilla Palmer August 26, 2007, 9:47 am

You have been tagged for The Personal Development List. (See my site for details), I would love for you to participate.

• Andy C August 24, 2007, 12:04 pm

My imaginary friends take offense to your statement.. heheh!

Co-working is a great idea, I’d like to see if not support that space in my own community one day. Until then I work in isolation with bouts at local cafes that accept my ability to suck down espresso over 7 hours and then on the weekends make sure I get a healthy dose of socializing.

Now.. I need to get back to the debate I was having amongst myself. >;)

• Brian Tanaka August 24, 2007, 10:54 am

If anyone is interested in co-working, be sure to pop by the Coworking Wiki (http://coworking.pbwiki.com/) and the Coworking Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?lnk=srg)

• glen August 24, 2007, 8:04 am

Will do Alex!

• Alex Hillman August 24, 2007, 7:07 am

Glen,
    Glad you liked the article, and see coworking as viable! If you are in or near Philadelphia, feel free to stop by IndyHall anytime.

Cheers!

• Not a Square August 24, 2007, 1:50 am

That is quite an interesting concept to consider.

• Kris Khaira August 23, 2007, 6:52 pm

I’m doing the exact same thing by working at home with my housemates. One’s a filmmaker and the other’s a musician/illustrator.