10 Ways History’s Finest Kept Their Focus at Work

organize your life like great people

Post written by Albert van Zyl from the blog HeadSpace.

The lives of great people give us interesting clues about how to organise our days.

All of them attached great value to their daily routines. This is because they saw it as being part of ‘becoming who they are’, as Nietzsche puts it.

For the same reason they were also highly individual in their routines. They had the courage to go against popular opinion and work out often strange daily plans that suited them.

This is perhaps the first lesson that we can learn – that it takes courage and resolve to design and stick to a routine that suits you. But as Emerson reassures us: ‘The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going’.

There are at least 10 other lessons that the daily routines of the great can teach us:

1. Don’t work long hours

Despite the modern obsession with physical presence at offices (also known as ‘presenteeism’), very few of the great worked long hours.

Philosopher Michel Foucault would only work from 9am to 3pm. Beethoven only worked from sunrise until the early afternoon. No 12 hour days here. Author Tom Robbins schedules only 3 hours of writing at his desk per day.

2. Take breaks

Even during these short days, the great took plenty of breaks.

Socrates would sometimes simply stop and hold completely still for several minutes. Beethoven was known to punctuate his mornings by running outside and walking around – he called it ‘working while walking’.

3. Take even longer breaks

The great all spent a single long period away from their desks every day to give their minds time to recover and regain its creative poise.

Beethoven started work at daybreak, but wrapped up by two or three in the afternoon which left him a good 14 hours away from work. Victor Hugo wrote in the mornings and took afternoons off entirely. Churchill would do nothing work-related between noon and around 11 at night.

4. Stop work and sit down for meals

Churchill would even have a bath and dress for meals. For us mere mortals, this injunction could simply mean sitting down with your sandwich away from you desk, on a bench in the park or somewhere else. Or resolving to chew and taste your food properly.

5. Don’t work in the afternoons

There are some exceptions, but very few of our heroes did any serious work in the afternoon.

After writing in the morning, Victor Hugo spent his afternoons riding around Paris in double decker busses, watching his brethren about their work. For us this might mean blocking off afternoons for long tea breaks and non-essential tasks.

6. Mix it up

The days of the great contain a surprising variety of activities. It seems that we don’t have to focus on a small range of things to succeed.
Even the grim German philosopher, Immanuel Kant went for afternoon walks and sat down for lunch with friends each day. Gandhi walked, spun, had a long bath and massage.

Churchill painted, fed his fish, played card games and constructed buildings all over Chartwell farm. He famously claimed that our minds don’t need rest as much as they need variety.

7. Aim low

Don’t schedule every minute of your day. Leo at Zenhabits suggests that we have morning and evening routines, and leave the middle of the day open for completing key tasks and other things that come up.

Daily routines are supposed to make things easier, not more complicated. Micro managing every minute of your day does not work.

8. Take time to relax

The great all reserved time to relax. And this doesn’t mean engaging in some semi-productive activity like reading a book or washing the dishes. No, they blocked out time to do nothing at all.

Gandhi would often spend time just staring at the horizon. Churchill would sit down to smoke a cigar after lunch and Beethoven would stop off for a few beers after his afternoon walk. In his recent autobiography, Alan Greenspan mentions that he too makes time to reflect each day.

9. Get up early(?)

This one is the subject of hot debate. Samuel Johnson, Churchill and Dylan Thomas got up late. Gandhi, Franklin and Mandela all got up early.

But whether they were early birds or night owls, the great all make sure that they had long periods of uninterrupted quiet time; whether late at night or early in the morning.

10. Exercise!

Al Gore interrupts his work day at 3pm to go for a run. Emerson, Beethoven, Nietzsche, Victor Hugo and Gandhi all went for walks. Nietzsche said that he ‘scribbled’ notes while he took his walk and claims that some of his best thoughts came in this way.

Mandela’s 5 am walks are legendary. The story goes that he once invited a persistent journalist to interview him during this morning walk – but she ended up being too out of breath to ask any questions.

Albert’s blog provides weird, insightful and funny bits that allow you to protect and enhance your Headspace. Check it out or subscribe to his feed.

Mandela Creative Commons License image credit: rchoephoto
Beethoven Creative Commons License photo credit: TaranRampersad
Churchill Creative Commons License photo credit: monkeyc.net
Ghandi Creative Commons License photo credit: nilexuk
Greenspan Creative Commons License photo credit: trackrecord

Comments on this entry are closed.

• travesti March 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

• travesti December 24, 2010, 7:56 am

Fine information, many thanks to the author

• antalya travesti November 4, 2010, 3:31 am

work a like charm. thnks

• escort October 31, 2010, 3:34 am

I value the article travesti Want more. Thank you.

• travesti October 19, 2010, 10:54 am

• izrada web sajta March 25, 2010, 7:40 am

Great post on how to focus throughout the day.Thanks for this.

• Horoskop 2010 February 7, 2010, 5:19 am

I read this article about one year ago. I follow some of them and now it's mutch better on my work. Congratulation!!!

• aboutcoffees October 28, 2009, 2:11 pm

I like the theme – take plenty of time for yourself. I agree with all of your choices for history's finest with the exception of Al Gore.

I would hardly call this eco-nazi one of history's greatest.

• Phil October 28, 2009, 10:11 am

I would hardly call this eco-nazi one of history's greatest.

• cicurug July 31, 2009, 3:41 am

nice share, great article, very usefull for us to know…thank you
    Stop Dreaming Start Action
    Alnect computer

• stanovitrebinje July 28, 2009, 7:46 am

Step 8.Take time to relax . This allways help me. I take 1 day and all troubles is gone.

• Stop Dreaming Start Action July 2, 2009, 12:28 pm

Great tips. I've been trying many of these without even realizing many great thinkers and doers did them.

• daily horoscope May 25, 2009, 1:25 pm

I start work and work and work and I can’t stop until finished my work.It’s mistake.

• horoskop November 17, 2008, 10:59 am

Grat article.I like to get up early so I have plenty of time to rummage

• admin August 19, 2008, 7:20 am
  • oktay usta August 6, 2008, 4:04 am
  • çocuk bak?m? August 6, 2008, 4:03 am
  • Matthew Cornell July 21, 2008, 8:11 pm

Love. The. Post!

• United Voices July 20, 2008, 1:04 am

This is a great article..

If anything increases productivity then certainly I would agree with it. And if it has a proven record then why not follow it.

Thanks.

• Chadaa June 28, 2008, 6:28 am

Bhais ki tang. (Buffalo’s leg)

• Mark June 25, 2008, 5:12 am

Franklin was no early riser. He was known to sleep until noon regularly.

You should read John Adam’s journals. He was infuriated by Franklin’s “slovenly” habits. He described being mortified that on an average day he would have already completed an entire volume of paperwork before Franklin got up and came to sign documents in the afternoon. The whole “early to rise” bit was just what Franklin said, not what he actually did.

• Jackson Hieu June 24, 2008, 9:27 pm

I cam across a blog by Dave Cheong (no association), who did a write up on how to stay focused at work which may be interesting for others:

• NI May 24, 2008, 9:55 pm

We have a replica of the Thomas Jefferson Revolving Bookstand available. There is a video of it here:

Thought you would enjoy

• Seduction April 25, 2008, 12:53 am

Very interesting points. Basically: moderation.

• p April 24, 2008, 4:44 pm

Interesting article. Summed up in finding that sweet zone between lazy and workaholic.

I like how it stresses having variety in ones day, which is completely counter-intuitive to a lot of peoples definitions of focus.

Heard it before, that and active mind is a productive mind.

• Kaila April 24, 2008, 3:09 pm

I wouldn’t call Al Gore one of history’s finest… but there are some good points here.

• Koen April 24, 2008, 4:21 am

Really some true things in there, but you shouldn’t just do things because ‘the great’ did it. You should do it because it makes you feel better.

• Ryan April 11, 2008, 9:56 pm

Al Gore walks? Wow I would never imagine he actually uses his body for more then propaganda. What would “they” think if he passes gas during one of his “walks”. Wouldn’t that add to global warming?

• Hustle Strategy April 9, 2008, 12:59 pm

Very interesting advice and strategy for the work day.

• Sara April 8, 2008, 9:26 am

Hi

Did anyone read this

* Tips to SAVE MONEY….

Some of the points are good and real but some are not that much, and very difficult to follow.

• Syra April 8, 2008, 4:10 am

so not working for long hours can not be generalized as a fine men trait =)

• syra April 8, 2008, 4:07 am

There are some other fine men who did work for long hours and didn’t complain, since their work was their passion. For them going to work was going to love and they never got tired of it.

• maldita April 8, 2008, 1:40 am

I refuse to work beyond what was required unless the deadline can not be postponed and the report is immediately required.

Beyond that I ask for additional compensation for overtime work.

• jack April 7, 2008, 11:57 am

I appreciate some of these insights, especially the inclusion of Beethoven (one of my personal heroes). However, it is interesting that the list is entirely composed of men, and all of them except two white Westerners. A rather narrow view of “history’s finest,” don’t you think?

• Robb Lejuwaan April 5, 2008, 2:03 pm

It is obvious from these comments that what may be right for on person may be wrong for another. I personally love my work and enjoy long hours. I am also in start-up mode on a business project and that means it is time for me to honker down. Maybe in a few years I will work less.

• wonky donky April 4, 2008, 7:30 pm

Gore is a Self-Important Poser Tool and will soon be having an affair with Silda Spitzer, once he finishes inventing the internet.

• Jorge April 3, 2008, 9:26 pm

Have you noticed that those guys lived in an era where aristocracy was more important than everything. In the 21’st Century companies are groing faster than ever. Why because there is work time in it. If we sleep our company is going to be eaten bye others. Beethoven, Nietsche, Churchil were unique people, and their products (or work in Churchil’s case) were unique, that is what took them to success, after success they could take all the breaks they wanted to have. Before that Beethoven was working as a child to be “like Mozart” and he would spend hours and hours trying to be like him, “because Mozart at age 4 had compossed his first symphony”, so the point is, all those guys had a privilege to rest all the time they wanted to, because they worked very hard studying and working to be recognized. I dont mind telling you all that I would like to work less than 12 hours a day, but if I do, it will be reflected on my area’s productivity.

Regards

• Mohan April 3, 2008, 9:04 pm

Good one!

• Zeus April 3, 2008, 6:33 pm

Wait, Leo at Zenhabits is one of “History’s Finest”?

If you say so.

• Dan April 3, 2008, 5:47 pm

Chicken Little runs in the afternoon – remind me not to run in the afternoon anymore – I might end up believing all sorts of things…

I mean that is proof – running in the afternoon makes your brain soft – correlation = causation right?

• Pablo Barrientos April 3, 2008, 5:45 pm

Thanks for sharing these information. They all help to organize our time and achieve the goals we have set.-

• Ian April 3, 2008, 5:01 pm

Arasmus, let me guess your an Aussie? You have to be to be banging on about Gallipoli..

Churchill was an insomniac thats why he did nothing between noon and 11 at night. But he was the greatest political leader of the last century alongside Rosevelt.

• John April 3, 2008, 3:51 pm

The list of inteligent greats and their habits is quite intriguing.
    But how does Al Gore end up in #10?
    Runs in the afternoon?? – he is a fat as a house and his global warming scam certainly proves he is a non-thinker!

• Ryan April 3, 2008, 3:07 pm

@Bernd:
    Much of my [limited] knowledge on Jefferson’s productivity comes from site visits to Monticello and my readings, but unfortunately, I can find very little online. I found this informative thread on 43Folders (http://www.43folders.com/2005/08/11/ye-olde-hipster) – it looks like Jefferson even carried a Hipster PDA! A post here makes a reference to his “turntable writing box”. Perhaps this design is similar to the book stand? An interesting topic indeed!

• Bernd April 3, 2008, 1:48 pm

@Ryan:

I would like very much to learn more about Jefferson’s productivity methods. Any pointers?

• wbrproductions April 3, 2008, 1:48 pm

I like to get up early so I have plenty of time to rummage thru Google’s dumpsters for unwanted c-notes. Then, if I find one, I get rip-roaring drunk like Beethoven did. Does this count as down-time?

• Ryan April 3, 2008, 12:30 pm

I’m surprised that Thomas Jefferson hasn’t been mentioned. From a productivity standpoint, many of his methods are quite remarkable. For instance, he developed a revolving stand to hold several books open at once (tabbed browsing, anyone?) and his time spent away from his desk and in his garden yielded some of his more creative solutions in agronomics. Not only did Jefferson manage to be effective, but improving his personal productivity was one of his lifetime goals.

• JJB April 3, 2008, 12:02 pm

I agree with G. Al Gore’s name belongs along side the names of these others only in Al’s own mind. Grouping him with the others is like grouping SPAM (the meat-like stuff in a can) with prime rib or filet mignon.

• G April 3, 2008, 10:44 am

How did Gore’s name work its way into this piece? The others are generally acknowledged greats, but Gore?

• Dan The Man April 3, 2008, 9:15 am

Even on a super busy workday I take many breaks. I think most people do, although they don’t like to admit it, and there is this weird sense that waking up early is somehow superior…but I’ve never agreed with that. It annoys me that the old school work mentality insists I spend 8 hours at my desk…no way! Once I have proven myself at a job, I’m taking walks, spending more time chatting with other employees…even sleeping under my desk. No one cares, if you keep producing great work! And I think you’re more likely to produce great work if you’re taking breaks and getting your quiet time…Zzzzzzzzzz… :)

• Sally J. April 3, 2008, 9:11 am

Many lived in a different era – did Beethoven have electric lights to work with at night – nah. That´s why he worked in the morning. (Sure, they had candles, but you ever try working by candlelight.)

And Churchill only worked in the morning? I doubt it – the man was Prime Minister of England for a while, plus worked in Parliament before that. Did all of the British govt. take off at noon?

And I surely would not include Al Gore with this group of talented intellectuals.

• ohmygod April 3, 2008, 8:26 am

AL Gore!? History’s finest!? Ha ha ha ha!!!

• grifo April 3, 2008, 8:03 am

leta, leta…

la chuleta

• Ben Overmyer April 3, 2008, 7:42 am

I am a web developer for a large contractor to the US government. I have some of the leniency described herein.

Certainly, we are encouraged to take regular walks and the occasional extended break.

Tim Ferriss (of Four Hour Workweek fame) works four or less hours per week, and still manages to pull five figures a month. This kind of productivity scheme is certainly possible, but it requires a number of factors to be in place before it will work.

Being self-employed tends to be MORE work than a 9-5. Owning a company, on the other hand, is less work. The art of delegation and outsourcing to free up the most important currency – time – is supremely important to this concept.

Were I to venture a guess, I’d say that only some people are suited to this lifestyle. Most aren’t interested in, capable of, or qualified for the occupations that allow this.

That, at least, is my observation.

• michael bierbaum April 3, 2008, 7:31 am

Al Gore is not a liar. Rosina M. Bierbaum has her doctorate in Marine Biology, worked for Al Gore for 8 years in the White House, went to Oslo for his Nobel Peace prize, and now is Dean of Natural Resources at U of M in Ann Arbor.

• Sangesh April 3, 2008, 7:30 am

Excellent post! I loved it.

• michael bierbaum April 3, 2008, 7:28 am

Is this like Aspberger’s? Kind of sounds like it…

• Bill Jones April 3, 2008, 7:26 am

Good story until you threw in Al Gore’s name. How do you justify putting him in this group of great thinkers, artists, leaders, and scientists? Al is a liar and soon to be proved a fraud.

• Cfer April 3, 2008, 6:40 am

I agree with some of the comments on here about this being a different era.

I would LOVE to be able to have those kinds of working hours and such, but in today’s work environment I just don’t see that as possible, unless you’re good enough to be self-employed. Most of them were either in creative arts or were self-employed or both. And in that kind of situation you have a little more leniency with your schedule.

My job as an applications developer for a medium-sized company means I cannot employ this kind of schedule. They would just go out and find someone else if I started working on schedules like those mentioned in the article had.

It’s all about productivity, profit and bottom line these days. Not about staff and employee relationships.

• David Saliba April 3, 2008, 4:04 am

Great stuff..
    How would employers react if these things become laws ?

I think it’s a great indication of how our brain is .. when you try too hard to do something it blocks you..

Thanks ..

• sameer gupta April 3, 2008, 3:22 am

I don’t agree. Do you really think Churchill worked so less before he bacame Churchill?

i do not agree that you can succeed only by working 5 or may be 6 hours a day. Plus, those were different times and it is so competitive these days.

These extra-oridnary league of men who worked for so little time per day, could actually afford to do so only because they had made themselves rich & famous.

• ringlerun April 3, 2008, 1:48 am

right for some people rob… but most of the ones listed were *born* into the lap of luxury

• rob April 3, 2008, 1:41 am

Maybe you’ve got this the wrong way round – perhaps all these people could afford such leisurely working habits *because* they were incredibly talented?

• Saleem April 2, 2008, 11:00 pm

Do you have a link to the original Churchill quote about the mind needing variety? Was digging around and had trouble finding it.

• 3thelement April 2, 2008, 10:17 pm

hey, this article seem doesn’t work for me as industrial slave in this 3rd development country. In this country you have to either work hard for 10 hours a day or get fired

• ringlerun April 2, 2008, 9:54 pm

Arasmus, he might have been born to comfort, but he certainly did not stay in it – he did take substantial personal risks, more so than any person is willing to take today (no matter what circumstance they are in). Gandhi was a great guy and does deserve high praise, but having said that, the other side of his story is often left untold – the part where he did talk to his son till death because his son married “out of caste”!

Some of the people on the list are great… but most were born to a privilege that gave them that opportunity – money begets money type of thing!

Nothing wrong in being born into comfort i guess… i mean, not like you choose, but don’t use those people as examples to those who might not have been born of high stature.

• Rebecca April 2, 2008, 9:49 pm

Nice post.

• Arasmus April 2, 2008, 9:41 pm

Ben – you may already know this but check out Churchill’s handling of the Gallipoli campaign in World War One – often described as one of the greatest disasters of World War I. My vote for greatest political leader of the last century would go to Gandhi – but he too, as for most leaders in the last century, was born to comfort.

• ben April 2, 2008, 9:31 pm

Arasmus: are you suggesting that Winston Churchill was only basically competent? The last time I checked, Churchill was one of the most-respected (and, in my opinion, deservedly so) political leaders of the last century.

• Dean April 2, 2008, 9:15 pm

Thomas Edison of course was known for working 20 hour days and sleeping 3 hours a night.

• Kris April 2, 2008, 8:18 pm

Al Gore?

Alan Greenspan?

Hmmmm…

• The Nadir April 2, 2008, 7:07 pm

So … Great post for someone who is independently wealthy and barely employed.

I love the comment above:
    “I’m a writer; this is beautiful.”

Yeah. I’m sure you are; I’m sure it is.

I’m a production assistant; this is crap.

• Phil April 2, 2008, 6:47 pm

They also didn’t have the internet to fritter away their time nor did they have TVs on in the background. How many had telephones ringing endlessly or all that e-mail to sift through?

• ringlerun April 2, 2008, 6:17 pm

hear ye, arasmus, hear ye! well said.

• Arasmus April 2, 2008, 6:12 pm

The collective import of these observations is that these guys did very little work period, but the work they did do had great impact. This leads me to think of two reasons why maybe these rules do not apply to use today: (1) some of these guys (like Beethoven) lived at a time in which the general level of literacy (and therefore intellectual competition) was fairly low, (2) some of these guys (like Winston Churchill) got their positions in society because of the class into which they were born rather than by scaling the meritocratic heights. Perhaps basic competence was sufficient for those placed so highly by birth alone.

• ringlerun April 2, 2008, 6:07 pm

ah, all ye sheep… listen, don’t question… just follow, just also remember that you will not become a leader by not applying your own brain!

i think there is a lot of merit to what is being said… the examples given are great, but anything can find a topic and then find 10 famous people who can be shown to have been following an example of that topic in a particular way.

lies, damned lies and statistics!

notice the presence of only artie-fartie people on the list… no scientists… einstein used to work through the night…

its horses for courses my friend, and when the article is portrayed as a universal truth rather than “what might work for you, or what works for me”, it becomes propoganda!

• anonymous April 2, 2008, 6:04 pm

Al Gore? Does he really qualify as one of History’s Finest?

• K. April 2, 2008, 5:58 pm

I’m a writer; this is beautiful.

• Dividends4Life April 2, 2008, 12:43 pm

Excellent post! I had a perfect score! 0 of 10 :)

Best Wishes,
    D4L

• Sara April 2, 2008, 8:20 am

Hi
    I agree to this point “8. Take time to relax”. We need time to relax or we will end up some where.

You can check my ideas over here..
    -Sara

• Scott Allen April 1, 2008, 12:25 pm

I hate to admit it, but at the moment I’m routinely breaking about 7 of these. The one thing I’ll see is that I have a plan to change that pattern by the end of May.

Seems to me that the obvious key is being able to figure out how to make a whole lot more money in a whole lot less time.

• Eva April 1, 2008, 3:31 am

This is a great post! And, actually, one that is very timely in my life. I have found myself trying to schedule every minute of my day and it has been driving me crazy, especially since I have been working hard on being a little more relaxed.

-Eva

• Albert@Headspace (http://thoughtsintime.co.za/) March 31, 2008, 7:58 am

Kalyan,

I agree with your point about implementation.

What I wonder about is when we reach the point where we look at the office set-up and its schedules and start making some changes there?

Surely the hours of wasted time, stress and heart attacks aren’t practical either?

Thank you also for the lead to Steve Pavlina. His site looks excellent.

• Kalyan Banerjee March 31, 2008, 4:38 am

Good points, but the key to it is implementation. I guess, 3 pm walks wont suit most of the office-goers. But yes, waking up early certainly would. Traditionally, I’ve been late riser but am trying to wake up early these days. Keeps me fresh. Steve Pavlina’s site is really helpful in this context.

• LivSimpl March 30, 2008, 10:55 pm

A wonderful post! Wish I could say more, but it’s time for bed so I can get up early tomorrow. :)

• Albert@Headspace (http://thoughtsintime.co.za/) March 30, 2008, 11:21 am

ducksixty,

Those longs breaks and short working days are designed to leave space for other things such as family and friends.

They also leave space for the chaos that allows us to give birth to a dancing star (as Nietzsche would have it).

I take the point about the definition of “history’s finest”. But I do think we have a few things to learn from these people, n’est ce pas?

• ducksixty March 28, 2008, 12:25 pm

These are great, and perhaps one can infer answers for my questions from them, but they leave me asking: where’s the time for relationships and other people? Not just observing, like Hugo on his bus, but interaction. I can’t get on with my own schedule unless I join my kids’ worlds at least daily… And heaven knows my marriage requires that time.

What defines ‘History’s Greatest?’ I’m not well-schooled, but might not Karl Marx say the collective working man, living man, loving man, the proletariat who break bread nightly with their loved ones the real center of our history?

You mention Nietzsche here. How about entertaining other bits of his thought: You’ve got a lot of Apollos here; where are the Dionysians?

• Albert@Headspace (http://thoughtsintime.co.za/) March 27, 2008, 10:30 pm

Brett, The old joke about Kant is that he was only late for his afternoon walk twice: once when his mother died and the the second time when he died himself!

Last night I stumbled on a description of Roald Dahl’s working day. More of the same:
    He woke up and had breakfast and worked a morning session from 10.30 to 12 noon.

Then it would be time for lunch, a drink and a nap. And then a second round of work from 4-6pm.

• alicia March 27, 2008, 3:46 pm
  • Hamilton March 27, 2008, 1:45 pm

Great post on how to focus throughout the day! It is said that the variety Churchill speaks of is what inspired many geniuses. In fact, several great inventions were the result of a fusion of ideas from two very different fields.

Thanks for the great food for thought!

• Dave Bullock March 27, 2008, 7:47 am

Great tips. I’ve been trying many of these without even realizing many great thinkers and doers did them.

=]

• Brett McKay March 27, 2008, 7:22 am

Excellent post Albert! Kant was also a big time walker. He left at the same time everyday. In fact, he was so mechanical about his daily walks, some people in the small village he lived in actually kept track of time based on what time he left for his walk.

• maxx March 27, 2008, 3:17 am

Hi
    This site is interesting, could you plz advise on my site on how to write it more powerfully.

Maxx

• Mmorpg August 10, 2009, 6:48 am

Inspiring article. I need to stop eating my meals infront of the PC and get out more :P