Helping Creative People Create

Changing the Scope of LifeDev (Slightly)

So, recently I’ve been getting some very constructive comments from people about LifeDev. The one recommendation I keep hearing from people is to change the tagline of the site. Up until a few minutes ago, the tagline of the site looked like this:

“Productivity for Creative People” is a great tagline, but unfortunately I tend to write about many other topics other than productivity that creative people like myself find useful. (A quick glance at some of my latest posts proves this quickly.)

The problem with the tagline was that it pigeon-holed me into one very, very specific range of topics (which I never really adhered to anyway). So I’ve decided to modify it slightly. The tagline now looks like this:

While the writing will be centered around helping creative people, we’re not just going to be talking about productivity. No sir. We’ll be hitting on the many aspects of life that creative types like you and I wrestle with every day. Yes, there’s still going to be a lot of writing about productivity. But this gives me freedom to branch out a tad more at the same time.

Now here’s where you, the good readers of LifeDev, can give me a little direction. Are there any topics that you’d specifically like to see us hit on? What type of posts interest you the most? Also, I’d love to hear any more feedback on the tagline.

You guys are awesome.

Liked the Post? Why Not Subscribe?

Get LifeDev delivered to your inbox as articles are published.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

kris10mac June 26, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I heart LifeDev. Even more now.

Can't wait for the posts to come….

dancovington June 26, 2008 at 3:55 pm

For the ultimate scope, I was thinking —

LifeDev: a little different. neat too.

… or “Empowering Creative People”; that's good too (do you think Creative Persons is too snooty).

Andre_Kibbe June 26, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I'm glad to see this gradual escape from the word “productivity,” which has become loaded with unproductive connotations like results by volume. “Creative people” still has some loaded expectations, but it's inevitable that any tagline will frame people's expectations to the exclusion of new topics.

@dancovington: Yeah, I think “creative people” sounds a little snooty, but it's infinitely less so than the noun “creatives.” Man, do I hate that word.

Tanner Christensen June 26, 2008 at 4:55 pm

What a positive change. It's amazing how something as little as two words can change an entire experience.

HansHans June 26, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Empowering is a sick word. I always vision big corporations failures when hearing this word.

Glen Stansberry June 27, 2008 at 1:55 pm

What word would you use instead? I'm open to suggestions…

Andre_Kibbe June 26, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Glen Stansberry June 27, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Agreed. When I stated the blog 3 years ago, it was a relatively new field (lifehacker, 43Folders, etc.) so the word “Productivity” was new and helpful. Not so much anymore ;)

Andre_Kibbe June 26, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Richard A. June 26, 2008 at 9:50 pm

“Eating creative people for dinner” would work too.

Glen Stansberry June 27, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Hrm. Not *quite* what I was going for, but I like the creativity ;)

moneypenny June 27, 2008 at 6:56 am

Just discovered your blog, great new tagline.
care to participate?
Friday’s Fun Question
Moneypenny

LP June 27, 2008 at 1:34 pm

First, I agree with the commenter who pointed out that 'empowering' is a bad word — it's associated with really obnoxious corporate policies, in my mind (maybe worse than 'productivity', maybe not).

Second, if you're going to continue to focus on 'creative people' or 'creative workers' or whatever you call them, it would be good to limit the generic content, like about how to exercise/lose weight/sleep, etc. and focus on issues unique to the freelancer/self-employed crowd.

Glen Stansberry June 27, 2008 at 2:00 pm

As for the word empowering, I'm more than open to suggestions. It's by no means set in stone.

As for the content, I partially agree but also partially disagree. I agree that the focus should be close to what the tagline is. However, these issues pertain to creative people as well. I'd never write something about motorcycles, but giving advice on how to sleep better so the creative output is best is something that would be useful to this audience.

Marc and Angel Hack Life June 30, 2008 at 11:13 am

Great choice! I guess this is a good time to say… “You rock! Keep up the great work!”

Marc C.

Glen Stansberry June 30, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Thanks guys!

Maxine June 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I like empowering:-) I think it truly describes the site. I love to read more about comminication and interaction with other people.
X M

Seth July 2, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Just found this site from unclutterer, and it looks great. I've subscribed and am looking forward to your upcoming posts! One thing I noticed, in your last post where you talked about changing the tag line to “Empowering Creative People”, you might want to also change the title of the main web page, it still reads “Productivity for Creative People”.

Glen Stansberry July 2, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Excellent catch! I'll remedy.

Jan Onesork July 4, 2008 at 9:01 am

Looking forward to the new posts :-)

Jan Onesork July 4, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Looking forward to the new posts :-)

travesti May 8, 2010 at 1:56 am

hi very nice your site's contents. If this is a nice sharing. Thanks, but for my country because there is no content sites like yours as I would always follow the most liked sites like these and I'm waiting for new issues and explanations.

{ 4 trackbacks }