Helping Creative People Create

Lessons Learned in 4 Different Countries and the High Seas

by glen

So, I’ve been going through some incredible life changes lately. A few weeks back I got married and went on a honeymoon cruise. Last week both my new bride and I started brand new jobs. On top of everything, my wife has been moving into my already “cozy” apartment. It’s a odd/surreal/incredible time right now.

While my wife and I were cruising around the Caribbean, I was forced to leave my computer at home. In hindsight, it was probably the best decision that I could have made. I typically use my laptop at least 8 hours a day, and not having it with me gave me a fresh perspective. Not only that, it gave me a Eureka! moment that showed me just how unproductive I really am in front of a computer (more on that later).

While on the cruise I managed to do a lot of good old fashioned paper-based writing, and man was it therapeutic. I had an awesome time just being creative without the constraints of a keyboard in front of me.

Over the course of the cruise, I managed to learn something incredible at every country visited. So, armed with a pen and notebook (and incredible ship balcony views), I managed to write a four posts on separate lessons learned, in each country. I’ll be publishing each of these posts throughout this week and the next, to help me get back into the swing of writing for this great community.

So that’s what I’ve been up to, and that’s what’s going to be going on for the next few weeks at LifeDev.

Oh, and as a bonus: I’m polishing a monster of an ebook that I’ll be giving away 100% free to LifeDev readers. It’s taken me a while to write it, and I hope it’s worth the wait. Stay tuned.

It’s good to be back :) As always, you can contact and follow me via Twitter and the email form if you’re wanting to chat. I’d love to hear what you’re up to to.

Liked the Post? Why Not Subscribe?

Get LifeDev delivered to your inbox as articles are published.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Gladys November 10, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Interesting – because I'm going through something similar this week. Saturday night I dropped my laptop. It's being looked at, but doesn't look repairable. Luckily, I've got my desktop that I can work from, and backups for most of my files.

But – the weather is really nice this week, and I'd rather be outside. Without my laptop, however, I've done as you – pulled out pen and paper and started work that way. At some point I do have to come in and type, but I am finding I am getting a lot done. I think I'll continue this to some extend even when I'm back to using a laptop.

Looking forward to seeing the lessons learned in different countries!

J.D., Meier November 11, 2009 at 3:04 am

I'm a fan of writing on paper … I carry a sticky pad with me wherever I go. I try to limit myself to one key point per sticky.

tombaker November 11, 2009 at 10:49 am

Congratulations. I'm in a bit of the same situation. Will be married before the end of the year. I am in charge of the honeymoon but never considered a cruise. I'm glad things went well for you and your wife. Keep posting, very interested.

Patty - Why Not Start Now? November 12, 2009 at 4:10 am

Hi, this is my first visit to your blog. Nice post. I had a similar experience a few months ago. No computer for a week, writing the old fashioned way, and a burst of creative output. But since back home the challenge has been staying away from the computer – difficult! Looking forward to reading more.

Jason of Kim & Jason November 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I am nothing without my Moleskine, although I often gravitate toward the computer just because it's easier to edit an move things around. But this post helped remind me that there are other benefits to being unplugged. Sometimes the laptop serves as a gateway drug to other intoxicating distractions. Long live old school technology!

Jason of Kim & Jason November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm

travesti May 8, 2010 at 1:32 am

hi very nice your site's contents. If this is a nice sharing. Thanks, but for my country because there is no content sites like yours as I would always follow the most liked sites like these and I'm waiting for new issues and explanations.

{ 1 trackback }