The Importance of “Roots” In a Portable World

roots in a portable world
Photo by Pear Biter

I’m typing this post from the porch sunny Sacramento ranch. My fiancee is a bridesmaid in a wedding, and I was lucky enough to tag along for the ride. A peacock is nonchalantly grazing not three feet from me, and I’m sitting next to a babbling brook typing away, amazed at how different this surrounding is than most of my “normal” days.

Yet with these beautiful surroundings, I’m still able to write. In fact, I want to work. I’m called to it. Why is that? I have a few theories.

Is it REALLY work?

It’s hard to call what I do work. Sure, every job has aspects that aren’t as fun, but being a full-time freelancer means that I can run away whenever I feel like it, and tote my office with me.

When I leave town, I always try and do as much in advance, so I can unwind as much as usual. But I don’t crave a total disconnection from the outside world because I’m tired of it. I try to save the things I love for the trip (ie. writing for LifeDev), and leave the things that aren’t as fun for home.

Do as others do

It wasn’t too long ago that I came to the realization that I needed to set routines and schedules for my creative work. After reading everything I could get my hands on pertaining to working and creativity, I found an interesting trend. Nearly all successful and wildly creative people have routines. They stick to these routines religiously. Usually at a certain time every day, they attempt to create. And then the rest of the day they use to perfect their craft.

An example: A Stephen King writes 1,000 quality words a day, and spends another chunk of his day polishing his skill by reading. Has it worked for him?

The deeper the roots, the taller the tree, (and more importantly), the more those branches can sway.

Deep Roots are the Key to Working a Portable Lifestyle

These people have “rooted” themselves in routines that they follow every day, no matter what. I’m trying to do this too: I try to publish at least two articles a week on LifeDev. No matter what. Even if I’m at a beautiful ranch with a stream flowing through the backyard, with peacocks strutting around, covered bridges, horseshoe pits and gazebos scattered across the property.

Having cake and eating it too

So, you might be thinking by now that I’m a tad on the looney side for wanting to write, when I could be doing tons of other fun things.

Why don’t I want to completely disconnect? Am I so chained to this computer that I can’t get up and leave?

The fact is, writing this post is part of my vacation. It’s what I love to do. It’s allowing me to unwind; it’s a release.

So let me pose this question: Do you love what you do so much that you would want to take it with you on vacation? If not, than what is the one thing you find so much pleasure in that you could do it whenever and wherever, loving every minute of it?

Passion is everything. The business plan comes later.

• Adriana de Marquees August 5, 2010, 11:04 pm

hahahahah I want that job too!! Any applications?

• carl20100 February 25, 2010, 3:30 pm

Great! Nice concept.

Portable Gazebo

• Swing Trading November 8, 2009, 10:59 am

Interesting post. I have just bookmarked this at stumbleupon. Others no doubt will like it like I did.

• Swing Trading November 8, 2009, 5:59 am

• Mirror Of My Self June 12, 2009, 7:26 am

WOW! Amazing post. Nice insights shared. I agree with you completely, sticking to routines helps extensively. You've a very interesting posts in your blog, read a few :-)

Cheers!

Manivannan

• SeanLance June 11, 2009, 6:12 pm

Great idea!
    Roots and routines are the way to do it. The more that I leave things open the less that I actually get done.

Loving what you do is important, so why not “work” on a vacation? Why do you want to take time off from what you love to do?

• Sonny April 29, 2017, 6:23 pm

Hola Juan,Respeto tu opinión. Tal vez a ti no te sirvan de nada, pero tengo muchos lectores a los que sí les han servido. En cualquier caso, no creo que insultar sea la forma más correcta de dar una opinión.Un salaio,Natulda

• prayerthegate June 11, 2009, 10:56 am

Beautiful site. It is my first visit, but not my last. I think doing the work we love is important. Then it doesn't seem like work at all. Balance in all things.

• positively present June 11, 2009, 9:10 am

Wonderful post. I love the concept of it. Thank you for writing this!

• Coralee April 29, 2017, 6:23 pm

H&;ts8#22tanten: Håller med, den verkar kunna det mesta!Jozii: Misstänkte att det var så. Men som sagt, väldigt dunkel information om hur det fungerar egentligen!

• radiantmatrix June 10, 2009, 12:21 pm

It's all well and good that you love your work so much (I do too). Still, people need vacations, even if they're from work we love – it's essential for our sanity and creativity that we allow our bodies and minds to take a break from our routines.

• Glen Stansberry June 12, 2009, 1:23 am

Well, I agree: a clean break every now and again is definitely needed.

• Anh June 5, 2009, 9:26 am

Thanks for the post! I'm going on vacation next week, and can't wait to read and write, preferably at a beach in Southern California. Indeed, it does take discipline to be creative. Kudos to you!

• Deb Owen June 4, 2009, 8:41 pm

I was recently in Key West — working. People kept joking about how I couldn't possibly be working in Key West. (And don't get me wrong, I got out on the boat and watched the sunset at sea and the whole nine.)

And yes. The routines are important.

But I also got a lot of very focused work done there too.
    I love being portable.