9 Reasons Why You SHOULD Adopt GTD

adopt gtd

Photo by dead_squid

GTD is pretty much the de facto organization system of the web. (If you don’t know anything about the little system that David Allen made famous, then check out the GTD Cheatsheet, a mini-series to whet the palate of those not privy to GTD.) The Getting Things Done system has taken the internet by storm in the last few years, with many different variations on the program springing up all over.

I believe GTD to be an incredible starting point for anyone wanting to get a better hold on their personal organization. In fact, I think there are some pretty convincing reasons for any doubters out there who might have overlooked the powerful system.

1. Completely Customizable. The main tenant of the system (though GTD zealots might overlook it) is that the system can completely be customized to fit your needs. Pick and choose which features of the system fit into your life and your needs. It’s a fluid system.
    Here’s an example. I don’t find myself delegating too many things throughout the day, since I’m a freelancing web worker. So I have tailored my GTD system to completely overlook the “delegate” processing step. (At least until I have some minions under me.)
  2. It really IS fun. Let’s be honest… let the dork inside of you out. There is a certain feeling of satisfaction that comes with checking a task off a list, not to mention the freedom that comes from knowing you’re in total control of everything that needs to be done.
  3. You’ll never lose a thought. If you’re a creative type and find yourself putting ideas a little bit of everywhere, GTD will ensure that you’ll a) always capture it, b)always process it, and c) always complete it in a timely manner. At least in theory anyway. (More on idea capture here.)
  4. It’s really not that bad. While the book may be a little heady, and actually getting the system in place requires a shift in thinking, the GTD system really is a simple concept. Once you start getting the hang of it you’ll never look back.
  5. GTD helps gain perspective on your day. With GTD you can quickly look at your day and know exactly what to work on first, what to spend time on, and what to leave for later. Automagically. With the help of contexts, you’ll know what needs to be done at any scenario (ie. in the car, at home, at the office). You’ll find that getting all the things on your todo list done is much easier when they’re broken down in to contexts.
  6. There are plenty of tools to help. There are endless possibilities and scenarios for making a GTD system work for you. Paper based, computer based (Mac and Windows), free, paid… literally there are GTD tools for any setup. Finding a tool for your specific setup is incredibly important to your productivity. With the “perfect” GTD tool, you’ll be more inclined tostick with the system. It’ll become as vital to you as one of your limbs.
  7. There is plenty of help to get started. There are tons of great blogs and sites that are focused around organization and GTD for the beginner and expert alike. Oh, and there’s a handy book too.
  8. Recurring tasks are never forgotten. Things that are easily forgotten (like paying bills) are never left behind. With the help of a tickler file (I still giggle every time I type that!), things that happen at recurring intervals show up every week/month/year they’re needed.
  9. It works in ALL aspects of your life. There is no specific venue for applying GTD principles. Whether it’s business, pleasure, even planning events like weddings, all can benefit from a little GTD sauce. You don’t need to remember confusing formulas or methods to make the GTD system work in nearly any situation. GTD is a comprehensive way to get your life organized.

• Kelly @ Small Business Guru February 18, 2008, 8:27 pm

Hear, hear.
    GTD does work for all aspects of your life. In fact, I’d add it *doesn’t* work if you only try it in one area of your life.

• Summy February 18, 2008, 9:01 pm

GTD can be great but it has its limitations. Read
    Don’t Get Things Done

• Adam F. February 18, 2008, 10:00 pm

You know what, you’ve convinced me to buy the book. I’ve always held back thinking it was a big too complicated. But now i’m really up for the challenge. Thanks! :)

• Adam F. February 18, 2008, 10:01 pm

You have really convinced me to buy this book. Thanks

• Kailee April 28, 2017, 8:00 pm

Eh si, lo avevo quasi rimosso qu17n&#82el;ilcontro con la telecamera, e invece… @Falco: Grazie! Dimmi pure, qui sopra ci sono tutti i recapiti per contattarmi. La mia mail è nella barra in alto, ultimo link a destra.

• Ibrahim Husain February 18, 2008, 10:07 pm

Excellent article. I just finished the “Getting Things Done Fast” audio seminar, and I must say I was really impressed. It really changed the way I see organization. I love it. Anyways, thanks for the great article.

• glen February 18, 2008, 11:38 pm

@Kelly- Agreed. It’s almost hard to NOT use GTD in every aspect.

@Ibrahim- Never heard of it. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

• gtdfrk February 19, 2008, 4:55 am

I don’t think I have to tell anymore how much I like GTD! I agree with Ibrahim: if you can still get your hands on the audio program “GTD Fast”, it is highly recommended! I listen to it regularly (in the car) and every time I discover some nugget of wisdom from The David. There really is more to GTD than meets the eye… eh… ear! ;)

• Al at 7P February 19, 2008, 7:14 am

I’m one of those “kick the tires before buying the car” kind of a person. I first went to Wikipedia to get more details about GTD but I didn’t get a good grasp from the article. I eventually adopted the system and am a big fan of it.

Coincidentally, I wrote a primer on GTD yesterday for those who also want to kick the tires but did not find Wikipedia to be useful.

• Romney February 21, 2008, 5:15 pm

I think it’s “tenet” . . .

• Rafal February 24, 2008, 10:47 am

Great post. I would only add that it’s easy to fall from GTD and at the same time it’s easy to get back.

• Ivan February 27, 2008, 10:07 am

I’ve followed GTD for about a year and it has been great. But I would emphasize not overthinking GTD and other productivity systems, since the point is to get rid of the ‘small’ things and have more time for more ‘important’ things.

• Dan May 24, 2008, 4:46 am

For implementing GTD you might try out this web-based application:

Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.
    A mobile version is available too.

As with the last update, now Gtdagenda has full Someday/Maybe functionality, you can easily move your tasks and projects between “Active”, “Someday/Maybe” and “Archive”. This will clear your mind, and will boost your productivity.

Hope you like it.

• lifemanager October 5, 2009, 3:29 am

I've been made kind of GTD tool the name is LifeManager.
    It's famous in South Korea.
    Recently I made it newly in international version.
    but I don't know how to advertise this free tool.
    Please try this GTD tools if possible.
    You can review 'LifeManager2' at http://lifemanager.me

Also, it's Free at this moment.
    i'm Sorry if you inconvenience with this comment and you can delete it if you want. tks.

• lifemanager October 5, 2009, 7:29 am

I've been made kind of GTD tool the name is LifeManager.
    It's famous in South Korea.
    Recently I made it newly in international version.
    but I don't know how to advertise this free tool.
    Please try this GTD tools if possible.
    You can review 'LifeManager2' at http://lifemanager.me

Also, it's Free at this moment.

• travesti May 8, 2010, 3:44 am

hi very nice your site's contents. If this is a nice sharing. Thanks, but for my country because there is no content sites like yours as I would always follow the most liked sites like these and I'm waiting for new issues and explanations.

• fotbollströjor March 31, 2017, 10:51 pm

Hi, yup this article is actually nice and I have learned lot of things from it concerning
    blogging. thanks.