Craving Some Crank? Try Oatmeal Instead

food cravings

Naturopathyworks has an interesting chart that shows what your food cravings mean. Here’s a few things you may or may not know about our

Are you jonzing for some Mary Jane, or a some gin and juice? Your body probably needs some protein, avenin, or calcium to name a few. You can get these nutrients from poultry, turnip and mustard greens, potato-peel broth, and many others. Who wouldn’t rather have a tall glass of raw cabbage juice than a frosty beer?

Or maybe you’ve got a bun in the oven and you’re craving… well, everything. You should probably gnaw on some red meat for some zinc.

If you’re craving liquids over solids, you need water (duh). If you’re craving solids over liquids you’re craving… water. Apparently our bodies our can even trick us into thinking we’re hungry when we’re really thirsty.

And my favorite on the list: You know that burning desire to chew on ice cubes? Your body really wants some protein instead. So grab you some seaweed and find real satisfaction that bland ice cubes couldn’t dream of giving you.

• Health_Campus August 30, 2009, 1:36 am

This is quite impressive, I am pleased to read this post, keep posts like this coming, you totally rock!
    Cheers,:)

• Health_Campus August 29, 2009, 9:36 pm

Cheers,:)

• Jackie September 17, 2007, 5:55 pm

I’m sure most of them are correct but when I crave chocolate I don’t want to substitute it for something else. I want my chocolate and I’m not going to be satisfied until I have it.

• Grant September 5, 2007, 1:27 pm

How can nuts/seeds be good for both overeating *and* lack of appetite?

• Modern Worker August 24, 2007, 11:58 am

Thank you for that link; it’s extremely valuable info for the health-conscious worker.

• laura August 19, 2007, 4:59 pm

This is interested, but I’m not really buying that I need calcium when I crave fatty foods. Aren’t humans built to crave fatty foods since they pack in calories?

• Sean August 19, 2007, 1:01 pm

What does it mean that you’re drinking 36 cups of coffee, six bowls of microwave popcorn and a small bottle of Visine per day?

It could mean that you’re a blogger craving additional traffic by posting even more than last month.

Good post! Thanks for the link to the chart!

• Tammy Lenski August 19, 2007, 7:09 am

Brian, I did, too, initially. But then, desperate because my asthma was getting so bad I couldn’t exercise anymore, despite piles of meds (not to mention a mother who died during an asthma attack), tried naturopathy. The results were so stunning I still feel some surprise. Today my asthma is so mild I rarely think about it and I am off the meds. It’s probably not right for everyone, but it’s a pity to condemn something so fully when the results are profound for some of us.

• Brian August 19, 2007, 6:38 am

I call B.S. on this whole naturopathy thing.

• Tammy Lenski August 19, 2007, 4:40 am

That’s a terrific resource…I’ve often wondered about the source of some of my food cravings and now I can just open the laptop for some hints.

I’ve never had the desire to chew on ice cubes, though…