Helping Creative People Create

Ask the Readers: What Are Your Morning Inspirations?

Morning inspiration
Photo by khalid almasoud

What do you do in the morning that inspires you?

Creativity depends on hard-nosed routines, but also needs to be inspired on a regular basis. I’m definitely a morning person, so a lot of my inspiration comes in the AM. Here are a few things I do to ensure I’m getting my morning jolt of inspiration.

Coffee Shop

For me, I enjoy working in a coffee shop, at least for part of the day. I like the smell of coffee and the constant stream of people coming and going. For whatever reason, the white noise helps me concentrate fully on my task. Oh, and the caffeine helps too.

Regular Browsing

I make it a habit to visit some of these sites:

• LifeRemix – Only the best lifestyle blogging in the world. (Of course, I might be slightly biased. I did co-found it.LifeRemix
  • Google Reader – Ok, so this is my “gateway” site. I have a few sites that I follow every day in the reader, but the really cool aspect of GReader that’s grown on me is Friend Recommendations. When friends share links, I find about 95% of them to be interesting and relevant to me. It’s like having a personal recommendation system sending me interesting news and articles.Google Reader
  • Ffffound! [now defunct] Is one of the best sites dedicated to inspiring and creative photography. Simply fantastic.Ffffound
  • Seth’s Blog – Seth Godin probably doesn’t need any introduction. Just know that I read him religiously.Seth Godin's Blog

Morning Exercise

Whether it’s a run or just a short walk, I have to have some sort of exercise in the morning. I do my best thinking while moving, and if I can’t have that time to jump-start my mind, then I’m a lost cause.

Morning Reading

I make it a habit to read every morning and reflect, at least for 15 minutes. This habit has probably had the most profound impact on my life, and I’d wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

Ok, so that’s my morning. What about you?

Liked the Post? Why Not Subscribe?

Get LifeDev delivered to your inbox as articles are published.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Dustin September 29, 2009 at 10:19 am

My 10 Morning Inspirations(in no particular order)

1. @glenstansbury Tweets
2. The sight of cream in my coffee
3. My daughter sleeping
4. sketches
5. dream recalling
6. The jQuery Website
7. My turtle terrarium/aquarium
8. The title bindings of books on my shelves
9. My hats
10. My fiance's good-morning affection and/or irritation

Glen Stansberry September 29, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Dustin,

Wow, thanks for the comments! Sounds like you've got a lot, though #1 appears to be the most important ;)

Armen Shirvanian September 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Hey Glen.

I like how you described, with pictures, some of the various items you check and read to continue and build that morning energy. We like to see day-to-day material like that.

I wake up in “attack mode” from the get-go, but I also have positive items like the message “I work through my goals and accomplish more and more” centered in large font on my desktop backgrounds, and do well with trance/classical/piano/instrumental music in the background. Sometimes I think about the value of time too.

Glen Stansberry September 29, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I also do well with wordless music.

Patrice September 30, 2009 at 10:13 am

My morning aspirations are the following : breakfast, checking emails and exercise.

GemmaLouise16 September 30, 2009 at 8:13 pm

ermm, this has made me think alot, i generally get inspired last thing at night

but i guess my morning inspiration has to be when i put my make-up on, it makes me feel good about myself and i guess it inspires me to be ready for the day. :)

baby nursery crib September 30, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Morning Inspirations??..
..hmmm..I think of a lot but I guess the breakfast tops it all! I really make sure I have a healthy, bug breakfast! It completes my day!

rose October 4, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Every morning my Yorkshire terriers await my first movement.
At the slightest signal of awakening, they hop around in excitement, stopping to only to be petted. Very positive start to everyday.

Ekaraj October 20, 2009 at 2:56 am

I just bookmarked this for my future referance.

Thanks
jaine
______________________________________________
aion kinha | Aion Powerleveling

travesti May 8, 2010 at 1:35 am

hi very nice your site's contents. If this is a nice sharing. Thanks, but for my country because there is no content sites like yours as I would always follow the most liked sites like these and I'm waiting for new issues and explanations.

Oval Mirrors Gal October 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm

First of all I’ll pray to the god as about 5 min that will success my hole day work.

{ 1 trackback }